Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Writer/Author Feature: Boston Writer Lisa Sugarman, "Life: It is What it is"

Featuring writer and author Lisa Sugarman.  "Life is often messy, unpredictable, and sometimes downright mean.  But life is also joyous, fulfilling, and endlessly surprising."  We have all experienced this universal truth at some point or another in our life.  This is exactly why I wanted to feature Lisa Sugarman.  Her writing captures the essence of the statement above.  As readers we can all relate to that, but we may also be continuously curious on how this truth transforms our lives.  As writers, it's safe to say we are hit head on with this concept.

Brief INTRODUCTION:
Lisa Sugarman works, lives, and writes in Marblehead, Massachussetts.  She received her Bachelor of Arts with honors from Salem State University in 1991 and attended Emerson College's MA in Writing, Literature & Publishing program.  Since 1991, she has written for a number of Boston-area newpapers, including the Canton Journal, the Randolph Herald, the Hingham Journal, the Cohasset Mariner, the Swampscott Reporter, the Jewish Journal, the Sharon Advocate, and the Stoughton Journal.  Since 2009, she has authored the weekly opinion column It Is What It Is for the Marblehead Reporter and other GateHouse Media, Inc. publications.

Q/A with Lisa Sugarman:

-1- Why did you decide to become a writer? What brought you to this destination of being a writer?
I never really decided to become a writer.  I think I always was one.  From the time I was five or six, I carried a little spiral notebook around with me and pretended I was a newspaper reporter.  And if I wasn't finding things to report on in my neighborhood, I was writing in one of my journals.  So I guess I was always pre-destined.  Being a writer was always my dream.

As for the path I took to become a columnist, and now an author, that took a little more work.  I was an English major in college and got very involved in my university's newspaper.  In my junior year I became the News Editor and eventually took over as Editor in my senior year.  And even though my college didn't have a formal journalism major, I acquired enough experience and contacts while I was in school that I was hired by a Boston-area newspaper chain the weekend I graduated.  From that point on, I took every opportunity I could find.  I wrote marketing and PR copy for non-profits, I wrote features for any magazine that would run my work, I worked for a healthcare publishing company creating all their marketing collateral, and eventually, after I had my daughters, I ended up writing for my local newspaper as a contributing columnist.  The ironic thing about that was that I was doing it just for fun.  And that was when I realized that opinion writing was really my sweet spot.  So I've been doing it since 2009.  And the idea for the book came from fans of my column.  Enough people suggested that I compile my columns into a book that I guess I couldn't ignore anymore.

-2- What was the motivation for choosing your book(s) genre(s)?
I've always had a lot to say, so opinion writing seemed like the perfect fit.  It's very liberating being able to write about whatever's on your mind.  And that's the biggest part of the appeal for me.

-3- What is your professional background?  What role does writing play in your life?
After I graduated from college, I was a newspaper reporter for several years.  Then I turned to freelance copy-writing, then marketing and PR, and eventually opinion writing.  I also work for my town's school system.  I have for the last ten years.  I was an assistant teacher for many years and moved over to the administrative side about three years ago for a change of pace.  Writing allows me to collect my thoughts.  It always has.

-4- What is your favorite character and moment from any of your books, and why?
My favorite "character" is my hometown.  It's the main character in my book and it's the love of my life.  there are plenty of places out there that I've fallen in love with over the years, but there's no other place I've fallen for enough to call home.

-5- What is the best thing about being a writer?  What is the ultimate wisdom you have gained from writing your works?
The best thing about being a writer, for me, is the ability to make people think and feel on a deeper level than they normally would.  I love when people feel they can relate to the stories I tell and feel comforted or inspired by them.  That's powerful stuff and I'm humbled every time it happens.

Lastly, if you could tell your fans/readers anything what would it be?
I'd tell everyone who would listen that life is a work in progress, so they need to put themselves out there and get their nose in it.  And that as much as we'd like it to be, life just isn't a straight line.  But that's ok, because it's not supposed to be.


EXCERPT from Girls rule, boys drool, written in April of 2014:

I know going into this that it's going to be impossible for me to get away with saying what I'm about to say without completely alienating an entire population's worth of people, and that's a pretty big risk to take in my line of work.  But what the hell, we both know I'm going to say it anyway.  So here goes.
Women should rule the world. 
Now I know most of you girlies out there just jumped out of your chairs clapping and screaming and yelling, "DUH!" But I'm afraid the boys probably aren't having quite the same reaction.  And I expected that going into it. 
But I'm honestly not trying to insult anyone here, in spite of how it may look.  Because I know, it looks bad if you're reading this and you're a guy.  But toughen up, boys.  The truth sometimes stings, but it'll make you stronger in the end. 
All I'm saying is that, collectively, guys have been at the wheel now for the majority of human history and we're still doing an awful lot of fighting and there are still millions of mouths out there in the world that need feeding.  Not to mention a laundry list of other things that still need fixing.  And that's just the plain and simple indisputable truth, hurtful as that truth may be 
I mean, let's just talk about hunger alone for a second. As far as the hunger issue is concerned, any mom I know, myself included, would never let anybody go hungry if they had breath left in their body.  It's just not in our DNA.  Every single one of us is genetically wired to feed the people around them.  That's why we have whole neighborhoods in our kitchen on any given day of the week and we're always feeding everybody else's kids.  You think we'd let the rest of the world go hungry? Oh,please. 
And that's only one example.  But I'm not alone in thinking this.  Even though I'm pretty confident that most women believe that a girl in charge might just be the solution to all our problems, there are people out there who are way more credible than me who think the same thing.  And one of them, who's been pretty vocal about it the last couple of weeks, is former White House press secretary Dee Dee Myers.  Dee Dee has been out in the foreground lately reminding people that the last century has been the bloodiest in human history.  It's been a tale of war, terrorism, religious extremism, abject poverty, and disease.  And while Dee Dee and I are by no means saying it's all men's fault, we are pointing out that men have been the ones mostly in charge, and we seem to be no closer to finding answers to our problems now then we were two hundred years ago.
The rest of Sugarman's column can be read by visiting It Is What It is The Blog


WHERE TO FIND THE BOOK:

CONNECT/LINK TO THE AUTHOR:

Additionally, listen to Sugarman read one of her favorite columns:

Lisa Sugarman, one of the most refreshing authors I have had the chance to know about.  I'm so happy she was able to be a part of this feature.  She has a way with words that warms your heart, inspires your mind, makes you smile at every controversial statement, and even makes you think a little more about certain topics.


If you would like to be part of the Writer/Author Feature:
 send me a contact message, or send me an email at elemillia@gmail.com

Bookserk by Author

Milan Kundera (4) Jane Austen (3) Stephenie Meyer (3) Suzanne Collins (3) Bernhard Schlink (2) F. Scott Fitzgerald (2) H.G. Wells (2) Herman Hesse (2) JRR Tolkien (2) Jules Verne (2) Khaled Hosseini (2) Paulo Coelho (2) Sam Kean (2) Stieg Larsson (2) Sylvia Day (2) A.G. Howard (1) Adam Johnson (1) Alafair Burke (1) Albert Einstein (1) Alexander Soderberg (1) Alicia Hendley (1) Amanda Hocking (1) Andre Dubus III (1) Ann Patchett (1) Aravind Adiga (1) Azar Nafisi (1) Barbara Kingsolver (1) Becky Aikman (1) Camilla Lackberg (1) Carl Sagan (1) Cat Hellisen (1) Charles Webb (1) Charlotte Bronte (1) Chinua Achebe (1) Chris Prentiss (1) Chrisanna Northrup (1) Christopher S. Stewart (1) Clare Clark (1) Clive Barker (1) Coltaire Rapaille (1) Dai Sijie (1) Daniel J. Levitin (1) Daniel Kahneman (1) Daniel Pink (1) David Foster Wallace (1) David Levithan (1) David Sedaris (1) Debra Driza (1) Domenica Ruta (1) Don Miguel Ruiz (1) Douglas Adams (1) Elie Weisel (1) Emily Bronte (1) Emlyn Chand (1) Enid Shomer (1) Epictetus (1) George Orwell (1) George R.R. Martin (1) Greg Graffin (1) Gretchen Rubin (1) Harper Lee (1) Haruki Murakami (1) Herman Koch (1) JR Moehringer (1) Jane Eyre (1) Jennifer Egan (1) Jodi Meadows (1) John Eldredge (1) John Englander (1) John Kenney (1) John Steinbeck (1) John T Cacioppo (1) Joyce Carol Oates (1) Judy Blume (1) Julia Glass (1) Karen Thompson Walker (1) Karol Jackowski (1) Kate Chopin (1) Kate Walbert (1) Katherine Boo (1) Lauren DeStefano (1) Lisa See (1) Lois Lowry (1) Lou Marinoff PhD (1) Madhulika Sikka (1) Maggie Stiefvater (1) Margot Livesey (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Martha Stout (1) Mary Roach (1) Mary Shelley (1) Meg Howrey (1) Megan Abbott (1) Natalie Babbitt (1) Nujood Ali (1) Oliver Harris (1) Paulo Giordano (1) Poet Charles Swain (1) Poet Margaret E. Sangster (1) Priscille Sibley (1) Ray Bradbury (1) Rebecca Dean (1) Richard Francis (1) Robert Louis Stevenson (1) Robert M. Pirsig (1) Rudyard Kipling (1) Sarah Gruen (1) Sharon Lebell (1) Shirley MacLaine (1) Stasi Eldredge (1) Stephen Chbosky (1) Sue Kidd Monk (1) Susan Cain (1) Susanna Calahan (1) Tara Conklin (1) Tea Obreht (1) Terri Giuliano Long (1) Thrity Umrigar (1) Victoria Hislop (1) Virginia Morell (1) Voltaire (1) Zora Neale Hurston (1)

Bookserk Globally

Bookserk by Publishing House

Harper Perennial Publishing (8) Random House Publishing (7) Crown Publishing (6) Little Brown and Company Publishing (6) Harper Publishing (4) Knopf Publishing (4) Scholastic Press Publishing (4) Vintage Publishing (4) W.W. Norton Company Publishing (4) Anchor Publishing (3) Atria Books Publishing (3) Free Press Publishing (3) HarperCollins Publishing (3) Penguin Books Publishing (3) Riverhead Books Publishing (3) Ballantine Books Publishing (2) Bantam Books Publishing (2) BarnesNoble Classics Publishing (2) Broadway Publishing (2) Harmony Publishing (2) Harper Paperback Publishing (2) Hyperion Publishing (2) Katherine Tegen Books Publishing (2) Simon and Schuster Publishing (2) William Morrow Publishing (2) Algonquin Books Publishing (1) Amber Allen Publishing (1) Amulet Books Publishing (1) Berkley Trade Publishing (1) Blue Crown Press Publishing (1) Createspace Publishing (1) Crown Business Publishing (1) Del Rey Publishing (1) Dover Publishing (1) Ember Publishing (1) Faber and Faber Publishing (1) Farrar Straus Giroux Publications (1) Feiwel Friends Publishing (1) Five Rivers Chapmanry Publishing (1) Gallery Books Publishing (1) Grand Central Publishing (1) HarperOne (1) Hill and Wang Publishing (1) Hogarth Publishing (1) It Books Publication (1) MJF Books Publishing (1) MTV books and Pocket Books Publishing (1) McGraw Hill Higher Education Publishing (1) Nelson Publishing (1) Pamela Dorman Books Publishing (1) Pantheon Publishing (1) Plaza Y Janes Publishing (1) Plume Publishing (1) Pocket Publishing (1) Puffin Publishing (1) Quill Publishing (1) Reagan Arthur Books Publishing (1) Science Bookshelf Publishing (1) Signet Classics Publishing (1) St. Martin's Press Publishing (1) Touchstone Publishing (1) Virago Publishing (1) Washington Square Press Publishing (1)