Saturday, February 1, 2014

ReView, Excerpt, and Q/A for SOMETHING FURRY UNDERFOOT by Amy L. Peterson

A book definitely for pet lovers, absolutely, no doubt.  If you are a pet owner, pet lover, or pet adorer you MUST read this book.  It is filled with wisdom, spirit, and best of all humor.  I was smiling beginning to end about this book.

Something Amy L. Peterson and I have in common is a BS in biology and so I found it refreshing to see such a natural way of storytelling, more so than other books I have read by non-biology majors.  The adventures of this book will tingle your senses if you are a biology major or if you come from some kind of science background.

That's also a given for everyone else.  You'll find this book to be refreshingly creative and clever, but also very clean and grounded.  When I have a pet someday I will remember to re-read this book.  I will also remember the interesting tips: when you marry someone who had pets growing up, chances are, you have pets in the future; she who takes on one pet successfully often ends up taking on more; fleas jump more than rabbits; some animals are on their best behavior when being inspected by a potential owner; big guys can get all mushy about small critters; and some animals don't live as long as they should. These are just a few of Peterson's tips, all of which I found to be thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening.

This is a very special book about pets, really, very special.  I think you'll have to read it to know what I mean. Ultimately, it will make you want to have a pet.  All the adventures of all the different animals that Peterson covers in this book makes you yearn for just as one with as much adventure and as much fun.

I have a fish aquarium right now, and I used to have a rabbit when I was little.  I was thoroughly attached to my white rabbit when I was small, and I love my fish just as much now as I did the rabbit then.  If you are an animal person, you'll find this book enjoyable, humorous, and definitely one of those book you'll come back to just to have a smile or to find some interesting fact about animals or just to live through one of the adventures in the book. 


Q&A with Amy L. Peterson

Q: What inspired you to write the book?
Peterson: I originally set out just to document the dozens of pets we'd raised over the course of about 19 years, but as I wrote it, it occurred to me that what my husband, Mark, and I experienced might not only amuse other people, it might help people make better decisions about pets. For example, I never would have imagined the two guinea pigs we got for my stepdaughter's 13th birthday would live 11 and 12 years.  By sharing that little bit of information, other parents may think twice about doing the same thing, because they, too, will end up caring for the elderly guinea pigs while the daughter they got the pet for goes happily off to college.  I also hope the stories, tips and factoids in my books will somehow make better lives for the very pets that people take home.

Q: What do you hope readers can get from the book?
Peterson: I hope readers will realize two things: 1) that while some pets are better than others, getting a pet is a commitment no matter what; and 2) that every pet has a story and I think our job as pet owners is to make that story as good as possible. Now, my cat, Purrkins, will tell you I still have work to do in figuring out how to make his life better, but I think the 20 teeny, tiny cans of cat food I bought recently is evidence that I am trying.

Q: Did you have a specific audience in mind? 
Peterson: Pet owners and also people contemplating getting a pet.

Q: What's your favorite part in the book and why?
Peterson: Based on comments from other people, it's that lovely scene where Mark is chatting to the botfly when he's removing it from the rabbit... while I'm doing all I can to not pass out.

Q: What do you want the readers to give you feedback on from reading the book?
Peterson: I love the fact that readers are giving feedback on my book!  Feedback in the way of comments on Amazon.com helps encourage other people to buy my book.  Comments and "likes" about my two YouTube videos (also at my website www.amylpeterson.com/videos) also help sell more books.  (The videos are 2-3 minutes long and set to music.  There's one about Bumpkin the domestic duck, and another featuring all sorts of different pets in my book, including a rescued wild mouse.)  Feedback on my pet blog postings also helps generate more interest, as does readers just telling their friends.  And I love emails from people telling me about their pets.  The reason such support is helpful is that some proceeds from my book will benefit animal rescue organizations.  And what's better than helping another pet in need?


Excerpt from the First Page:
If my husband wasn't as cute as a yellow duckling, tenacious as a pit bull, and energetic as a kitten high on catnip, I wouldn't have a dozen animals in my house right now.  But Mark exhibits all of that, plus employs the killer phrase, "I've always wanted one of those." He also knows how to blink his puppy-dog eyes, just so.

Back in 1994 when i was in the process of falling for Mark, I was attracted to his brains and his wit, but a bit distracted by the challenge of becoming a stepmother to his four children, ages three, five, 13, and 15.  (As summarized in From Zero to Four Kids in Thirty Seconds by Amy L. Peterson) I was overwhelmed with the notion that I didn't know what I was doing and inundated by a panicky feeling that four kids were quickly taking control of my life.  I had no idea that Mark was plotting to add animals to my sudden state of "duh."

Mark wisely began his quest for creatures by unabashedly using his children to get the things he wanted.  He made use of this device for the first time on the way to our Lansing-....


Thoroughly Enjoyed it!

Genre:Nonfiction/Memoir/Pets
Format: Paperback
Length: 228 pages
Publisher: Amy L. Peterson
First Published: 2013
*ReView Request*

Bookserk by Author

Milan Kundera (4) Jane Austen (3) Stephenie Meyer (3) Suzanne Collins (3) Bernhard Schlink (2) F. Scott Fitzgerald (2) H.G. Wells (2) Herman Hesse (2) JRR Tolkien (2) Jules Verne (2) Khaled Hosseini (2) Paulo Coelho (2) Sam Kean (2) Stieg Larsson (2) Sylvia Day (2) A.G. Howard (1) Adam Johnson (1) Alafair Burke (1) Albert Einstein (1) Alexander Soderberg (1) Alicia Hendley (1) Amanda Hocking (1) Andre Dubus III (1) Ann Patchett (1) Aravind Adiga (1) Azar Nafisi (1) Barbara Kingsolver (1) Becky Aikman (1) Camilla Lackberg (1) Carl Sagan (1) Cat Hellisen (1) Charles Webb (1) Charlotte Bronte (1) Chinua Achebe (1) Chris Prentiss (1) Chrisanna Northrup (1) Christopher S. Stewart (1) Clare Clark (1) Clive Barker (1) Coltaire Rapaille (1) Dai Sijie (1) Daniel J. Levitin (1) Daniel Kahneman (1) Daniel Pink (1) David Foster Wallace (1) David Levithan (1) David Sedaris (1) Debra Driza (1) Domenica Ruta (1) Don Miguel Ruiz (1) Douglas Adams (1) Elie Weisel (1) Emily Bronte (1) Emlyn Chand (1) Enid Shomer (1) Epictetus (1) George Orwell (1) George R.R. Martin (1) Greg Graffin (1) Gretchen Rubin (1) Harper Lee (1) Haruki Murakami (1) Herman Koch (1) JR Moehringer (1) Jane Eyre (1) Jennifer Egan (1) Jodi Meadows (1) John Eldredge (1) John Englander (1) John Kenney (1) John Steinbeck (1) John T Cacioppo (1) Joyce Carol Oates (1) Judy Blume (1) Julia Glass (1) Karen Thompson Walker (1) Karol Jackowski (1) Kate Chopin (1) Kate Walbert (1) Katherine Boo (1) Lauren DeStefano (1) Lisa See (1) Lois Lowry (1) Lou Marinoff PhD (1) Madhulika Sikka (1) Maggie Stiefvater (1) Margot Livesey (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Martha Stout (1) Mary Roach (1) Mary Shelley (1) Meg Howrey (1) Megan Abbott (1) Natalie Babbitt (1) Nujood Ali (1) Oliver Harris (1) Paulo Giordano (1) Poet Charles Swain (1) Poet Margaret E. Sangster (1) Priscille Sibley (1) Ray Bradbury (1) Rebecca Dean (1) Richard Francis (1) Robert Louis Stevenson (1) Robert M. Pirsig (1) Rudyard Kipling (1) Sarah Gruen (1) Sharon Lebell (1) Shirley MacLaine (1) Stasi Eldredge (1) Stephen Chbosky (1) Sue Kidd Monk (1) Susan Cain (1) Susanna Calahan (1) Tara Conklin (1) Tea Obreht (1) Terri Giuliano Long (1) Thrity Umrigar (1) Victoria Hislop (1) Virginia Morell (1) Voltaire (1) Zora Neale Hurston (1)

Bookserk Globally

Bookserk by Publishing House

Harper Perennial Publishing (8) Random House Publishing (7) Crown Publishing (6) Little Brown and Company Publishing (6) Harper Publishing (4) Knopf Publishing (4) Scholastic Press Publishing (4) Vintage Publishing (4) W.W. Norton Company Publishing (4) Anchor Publishing (3) Atria Books Publishing (3) Free Press Publishing (3) HarperCollins Publishing (3) Penguin Books Publishing (3) Riverhead Books Publishing (3) Ballantine Books Publishing (2) Bantam Books Publishing (2) BarnesNoble Classics Publishing (2) Broadway Publishing (2) Harmony Publishing (2) Harper Paperback Publishing (2) Hyperion Publishing (2) Katherine Tegen Books Publishing (2) Simon and Schuster Publishing (2) William Morrow Publishing (2) Algonquin Books Publishing (1) Amber Allen Publishing (1) Amulet Books Publishing (1) Berkley Trade Publishing (1) Blue Crown Press Publishing (1) Createspace Publishing (1) Crown Business Publishing (1) Del Rey Publishing (1) Dover Publishing (1) Ember Publishing (1) Faber and Faber Publishing (1) Farrar Straus Giroux Publications (1) Feiwel Friends Publishing (1) Five Rivers Chapmanry Publishing (1) Gallery Books Publishing (1) Grand Central Publishing (1) HarperOne (1) Hill and Wang Publishing (1) Hogarth Publishing (1) It Books Publication (1) MJF Books Publishing (1) MTV books and Pocket Books Publishing (1) McGraw Hill Higher Education Publishing (1) Nelson Publishing (1) Pamela Dorman Books Publishing (1) Pantheon Publishing (1) Plaza Y Janes Publishing (1) Plume Publishing (1) Pocket Publishing (1) Puffin Publishing (1) Quill Publishing (1) Reagan Arthur Books Publishing (1) Science Bookshelf Publishing (1) Signet Classics Publishing (1) St. Martin's Press Publishing (1) Touchstone Publishing (1) Virago Publishing (1) Washington Square Press Publishing (1)