Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Bookserk ReView Rating

After much deliberation, I have updated my Gone Bookserk ReView Rating.  Many of you will still see the old rating on previous posts, until with time they will change over.

My old rating had its limits, the new rating allows me to expand the types of reviews I will be posting. As you will see, the 5Star-system I have created falls much more in line with the GoneBookserk theme, as I will explain further.


Among My Favorites, Definitely! The Most MEMORABLE

The 5Star Rating is the top, best rating a book can receive from me. It's the rating reserved for mostly all my favorites, my most memorable books.  When I'm reading books, I focus mostly on 5 main elements.  When a book gets a 5Star rating, it means it has a very elevated place in all of these categories:
  • Genuine, Quality of writing
  • Pace & Plot Development
  • Human, Real Characters
  • Insightfulness
  • Enjoyability
Examples of 5Star Rating:
Fiction: "Demian" by Herman Hesse
NonFiction: "The Mathematics of Life"  by Ian Stewart



Thoroughly Enjoyed It; Will be Revisiting & Recommending It

This is really where most of the book that I read fall.  And it's a great place to be.  A 4Star book is one I enjoyed thorough.  It was:
  • Entertaining & Enjoyable
  • Insightful in Many Ways
  • Pace & Plot Developed Effortlessly
  • And finally, it was well constructed & well written.


It Was Alright, I Liked It

If a book gets a 3Star rating from me, it only means it lost me in a few places.  I enjoyed it, I got through it, but there were some challenging point.  That's not necessarily a bad thing from the perspective of the book.  It only means the book and I didn't really mesh well.  Maybe the book had its bad parts, or maybe I just didn't feel it enough.  It's tough to say.  This is pretty much the ground for all the books that are just below that quality mark.  All in all, it was:
  • Fairly enjoyable & Insightful
  • Plot & Characters were just alright
  • Writing & Ease of Reading just ok

Examples of 3Star Rating:
Fiction: "This Side of Paradise" by F.Scott Fitzgerald



Just Barely Finished It

I have had my fair share of these kinds of books.  I've read books that have been way too long and they utterly failed to keep me engaged for the number of pages they had.  I was much kinder with my old policy when it comes to these types of books.  This year, I hold no mercy to these books.  I will rate them with 2Stars.  A book has to keep me engaged in the story, first and foremost before anything else.  All in all the 2Star book just have two things going for them:
  • Writing & Ease of Reading is acceptable
  • Characters are Fairly Multidimetional


Didn't Finish, It Was Bad

Yes! With my new rating system, I will be rating books I don't finish, or can't finish with 1Star.  I had quite a few of those last year and I didn't rate them, period.  I didn't even mention them.  This year, if a book fails to keep me interested, if it's badly written, if it lacks multidimensional characters & plot develoment, or if isn't at all insightful, I will put it down.  If I have to put a book down, I will give it 1Star.  All that a 1Star book has going for itself is:
  • the possibility that it's just not my kind of book... others might like it, but not me.

How's it looking?  Agree or Disagree? Like or Dislike?
Give me your feedback...

Meanwhile... if you'd like me to review a book for you on my website, contact me @ elemillia@gmail.com.


Bookserk by Author

Milan Kundera (4) Jane Austen (3) Stephenie Meyer (3) Suzanne Collins (3) Bernhard Schlink (2) F. Scott Fitzgerald (2) H.G. Wells (2) Herman Hesse (2) JRR Tolkien (2) Jules Verne (2) Khaled Hosseini (2) Paulo Coelho (2) Sam Kean (2) Stieg Larsson (2) Sylvia Day (2) A.G. Howard (1) Adam Johnson (1) Alafair Burke (1) Albert Einstein (1) Alexander Soderberg (1) Alicia Hendley (1) Amanda Hocking (1) Andre Dubus III (1) Ann Patchett (1) Aravind Adiga (1) Azar Nafisi (1) Barbara Kingsolver (1) Becky Aikman (1) Camilla Lackberg (1) Carl Sagan (1) Cat Hellisen (1) Charles Webb (1) Charlotte Bronte (1) Chinua Achebe (1) Chris Prentiss (1) Chrisanna Northrup (1) Christopher S. Stewart (1) Clare Clark (1) Clive Barker (1) Coltaire Rapaille (1) Dai Sijie (1) Daniel J. Levitin (1) Daniel Kahneman (1) Daniel Pink (1) David Foster Wallace (1) David Levithan (1) David Sedaris (1) Debra Driza (1) Domenica Ruta (1) Don Miguel Ruiz (1) Douglas Adams (1) Elie Weisel (1) Emily Bronte (1) Emlyn Chand (1) Enid Shomer (1) Epictetus (1) George Orwell (1) George R.R. Martin (1) Greg Graffin (1) Gretchen Rubin (1) Harper Lee (1) Haruki Murakami (1) Herman Koch (1) JR Moehringer (1) Jane Eyre (1) Jennifer Egan (1) Jodi Meadows (1) John Eldredge (1) John Englander (1) John Kenney (1) John Steinbeck (1) John T Cacioppo (1) Joyce Carol Oates (1) Judy Blume (1) Julia Glass (1) Karen Thompson Walker (1) Karol Jackowski (1) Kate Chopin (1) Kate Walbert (1) Katherine Boo (1) Lauren DeStefano (1) Lisa See (1) Lois Lowry (1) Lou Marinoff PhD (1) Madhulika Sikka (1) Maggie Stiefvater (1) Margot Livesey (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Martha Stout (1) Mary Roach (1) Mary Shelley (1) Meg Howrey (1) Megan Abbott (1) Natalie Babbitt (1) Nujood Ali (1) Oliver Harris (1) Paulo Giordano (1) Poet Charles Swain (1) Poet Margaret E. Sangster (1) Priscille Sibley (1) Ray Bradbury (1) Rebecca Dean (1) Richard Francis (1) Robert Louis Stevenson (1) Robert M. Pirsig (1) Rudyard Kipling (1) Sarah Gruen (1) Sharon Lebell (1) Shirley MacLaine (1) Stasi Eldredge (1) Stephen Chbosky (1) Sue Kidd Monk (1) Susan Cain (1) Susanna Calahan (1) Tara Conklin (1) Tea Obreht (1) Terri Giuliano Long (1) Thrity Umrigar (1) Victoria Hislop (1) Virginia Morell (1) Voltaire (1) Zora Neale Hurston (1)

Bookserk Globally

Bookserk by Publishing House

Harper Perennial Publishing (8) Random House Publishing (7) Crown Publishing (6) Little Brown and Company Publishing (6) Harper Publishing (4) Knopf Publishing (4) Scholastic Press Publishing (4) Vintage Publishing (4) W.W. Norton Company Publishing (4) Anchor Publishing (3) Atria Books Publishing (3) Free Press Publishing (3) HarperCollins Publishing (3) Penguin Books Publishing (3) Riverhead Books Publishing (3) Ballantine Books Publishing (2) Bantam Books Publishing (2) BarnesNoble Classics Publishing (2) Broadway Publishing (2) Harmony Publishing (2) Harper Paperback Publishing (2) Hyperion Publishing (2) Katherine Tegen Books Publishing (2) Simon and Schuster Publishing (2) William Morrow Publishing (2) Algonquin Books Publishing (1) Amber Allen Publishing (1) Amulet Books Publishing (1) Berkley Trade Publishing (1) Blue Crown Press Publishing (1) Createspace Publishing (1) Crown Business Publishing (1) Del Rey Publishing (1) Dover Publishing (1) Ember Publishing (1) Faber and Faber Publishing (1) Farrar Straus Giroux Publications (1) Feiwel Friends Publishing (1) Five Rivers Chapmanry Publishing (1) Gallery Books Publishing (1) Grand Central Publishing (1) HarperOne (1) Hill and Wang Publishing (1) Hogarth Publishing (1) It Books Publication (1) MJF Books Publishing (1) MTV books and Pocket Books Publishing (1) McGraw Hill Higher Education Publishing (1) Nelson Publishing (1) Pamela Dorman Books Publishing (1) Pantheon Publishing (1) Plaza Y Janes Publishing (1) Plume Publishing (1) Pocket Publishing (1) Puffin Publishing (1) Quill Publishing (1) Reagan Arthur Books Publishing (1) Science Bookshelf Publishing (1) Signet Classics Publishing (1) St. Martin's Press Publishing (1) Touchstone Publishing (1) Virago Publishing (1) Washington Square Press Publishing (1)