Thursday, January 16, 2014

Book Blogger Bookserk Feature: Reasons Why I Favor Certain Book Bloggers

Besides books, I am also highly fascinated by all the book bloggers out there.  I have decided to begin featuring some of my favorite book bloggers.  This year I have already featured 10 Book Bloggers You Should Know About in 2014.  But as the year has developed I have realized there are so many more book blogs I'd like to talk about here on GoneBookserk.  

When I find a book blog that I am highly interested in, it's because of the following factors.

Catchy URL and Intriguing TITLE
The url of the website is one of the first things you handle when you visit a book blog.  I like a book blog that has a simple and easy to remember web address.  The worst thing is when I forget part of the web address because it's too long to remember, or because it's too complicated to write, and I wish I could remember it because there were some really cool things I wanted to revisit.  An intriguing title for the blog, is the other primary thing I look for, and it's because I like to think I've stumbled on a creative and genuine book blog, a blog that has something 'one-of-a-kind.'

The HEADER of the Blog
I have enjoyed so many well designed headers from some of the best blogs.  I love to see a header that takes me into the blog right away. It's just one of those things that's either a hit or a miss.  It should be just the right representation of the blog.

The MESSAGE of the Book Blog
Many book blogs will feature a message their website stands for, a quote of some kind or an introduction by the writer of the blog.  I love to see these messages.  It makes my journey into the site that much more colorful.  That's a very important aspect of actually staying around in that website.

FOLLOWERS of the Site
Sometimes a lot of the site will state their number of followers, their connections, and how many people have linked up to the website to know about it.  I love checking out these numbers.  It tells me right off the bat how the website is doing, and whether it's worth it for me to continue staying around.  Sometime I'll stay around even if I think the numbers aren't so great. But it's a great way to gauge whether I'm going to stay or not after the above things have either enchanted me or disengaged me in the process.  This is also really useful if I, myself, want to become a follower right away.  I should be able to easily follow a blog I start to love, otherwise what's the point? You know?

CONTENT! CONTENT! CONTENT!
As a book blogger myself I know first hand how difficult creating fun, unique, and useful content is.  As I look on to other book blogging websites, this is one of the major aspects that peaks my interests.  I search to see what useful content I might learn about that day.  There are so many inspiring book bloggers, from this perspective, who post a lot of useful and interactive content.  It's refreshing to be stumbled on, or even revisit a blog and find something I can possibly get involved in, learn about, or just simply get ideas and become inspired by.

BLOG LOGO (or also known as BUTTON)
After I have seen what I like so far, I usually look, out of curiosity to see if they have a website logo or button that I might use to grab and post on my website because I love it so much.  This isn't necessarily a must for me, but I like to see at least a logo that represents the website so that if I see that image somewhere else, I know what it represents.

A WELL-ORGANIZED Blog
At this point into the website I know whether I like it or not, whether the content has peaked my interest, whether I have become a follower or not, and the next thing I do is explore my curiosity and browse it.  In order to even continue on the website to do this, I like to seek and find a well established header, or some kind of well organized sidebar.  A search bar is helpful, too.  If I have to rack my brains to find content, or have difficulty with the header, or too much noise in the sidebar, I most likely leave disappointed.  Organization is key!

WHO is writing the blog?
I want to know there is a HUMAN behind the blog.  I like to either be able to find a introduction, and "about me", or something that let's me know who's writing on the blog.  I like to see a voice behind the writing.  I want to know that I'm not just going to be connecting to a blog, but to a person.

The rest is extras and a lot of great bloggers have a lot of extras.

I will be writing about my favorite book bloggers based on the list above. I'll tell you all my favorite extras these bloggers have creatively come up with.  This is a positive feature to discover and explore some of the best of the best, and talk about the best aspects of the best blogs.  I will not be calling out bloggers on any "shortcomings," or "errors," or anything "I may not like." We, book bloggers, all have a road to progress on and all of us know more or less how far we have come and where we are headed, if we are dedicated enough to go big. It is not my place to judge a blogger, but I will be praising and featuring the book bloggers I am bookserk about.

This is for my love of some of my favorite, most creative, and most inspirational book blogs.

If you're a book blogger reading this, tell me about your site!

Bookserk by Author

Milan Kundera (4) Jane Austen (3) Stephenie Meyer (3) Suzanne Collins (3) Bernhard Schlink (2) F. Scott Fitzgerald (2) H.G. Wells (2) Herman Hesse (2) JRR Tolkien (2) Jules Verne (2) Khaled Hosseini (2) Paulo Coelho (2) Sam Kean (2) Stieg Larsson (2) Sylvia Day (2) A.G. Howard (1) Adam Johnson (1) Alafair Burke (1) Albert Einstein (1) Alexander Soderberg (1) Alicia Hendley (1) Amanda Hocking (1) Andre Dubus III (1) Ann Patchett (1) Aravind Adiga (1) Azar Nafisi (1) Barbara Kingsolver (1) Becky Aikman (1) Camilla Lackberg (1) Carl Sagan (1) Cat Hellisen (1) Charles Webb (1) Charlotte Bronte (1) Chinua Achebe (1) Chris Prentiss (1) Chrisanna Northrup (1) Christopher S. Stewart (1) Clare Clark (1) Clive Barker (1) Coltaire Rapaille (1) Dai Sijie (1) Daniel J. Levitin (1) Daniel Kahneman (1) Daniel Pink (1) David Foster Wallace (1) David Levithan (1) David Sedaris (1) Debra Driza (1) Domenica Ruta (1) Don Miguel Ruiz (1) Douglas Adams (1) Elie Weisel (1) Emily Bronte (1) Emlyn Chand (1) Enid Shomer (1) Epictetus (1) George Orwell (1) George R.R. Martin (1) Greg Graffin (1) Gretchen Rubin (1) Harper Lee (1) Haruki Murakami (1) Herman Koch (1) JR Moehringer (1) Jane Eyre (1) Jennifer Egan (1) Jodi Meadows (1) John Eldredge (1) John Englander (1) John Kenney (1) John Steinbeck (1) John T Cacioppo (1) Joyce Carol Oates (1) Judy Blume (1) Julia Glass (1) Karen Thompson Walker (1) Karol Jackowski (1) Kate Chopin (1) Kate Walbert (1) Katherine Boo (1) Lauren DeStefano (1) Lisa See (1) Lois Lowry (1) Lou Marinoff PhD (1) Madhulika Sikka (1) Maggie Stiefvater (1) Margot Livesey (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Martha Stout (1) Mary Roach (1) Mary Shelley (1) Meg Howrey (1) Megan Abbott (1) Natalie Babbitt (1) Nujood Ali (1) Oliver Harris (1) Paulo Giordano (1) Poet Charles Swain (1) Poet Margaret E. Sangster (1) Priscille Sibley (1) Ray Bradbury (1) Rebecca Dean (1) Richard Francis (1) Robert Louis Stevenson (1) Robert M. Pirsig (1) Rudyard Kipling (1) Sarah Gruen (1) Sharon Lebell (1) Shirley MacLaine (1) Stasi Eldredge (1) Stephen Chbosky (1) Sue Kidd Monk (1) Susan Cain (1) Susanna Calahan (1) Tara Conklin (1) Tea Obreht (1) Terri Giuliano Long (1) Thrity Umrigar (1) Victoria Hislop (1) Virginia Morell (1) Voltaire (1) Zora Neale Hurston (1)

Bookserk Globally

Bookserk by Publishing House

Harper Perennial Publishing (8) Random House Publishing (7) Crown Publishing (6) Little Brown and Company Publishing (6) Harper Publishing (4) Knopf Publishing (4) Scholastic Press Publishing (4) Vintage Publishing (4) W.W. Norton Company Publishing (4) Anchor Publishing (3) Atria Books Publishing (3) Free Press Publishing (3) HarperCollins Publishing (3) Penguin Books Publishing (3) Riverhead Books Publishing (3) Ballantine Books Publishing (2) Bantam Books Publishing (2) BarnesNoble Classics Publishing (2) Broadway Publishing (2) Harmony Publishing (2) Harper Paperback Publishing (2) Hyperion Publishing (2) Katherine Tegen Books Publishing (2) Simon and Schuster Publishing (2) William Morrow Publishing (2) Algonquin Books Publishing (1) Amber Allen Publishing (1) Amulet Books Publishing (1) Berkley Trade Publishing (1) Blue Crown Press Publishing (1) Createspace Publishing (1) Crown Business Publishing (1) Del Rey Publishing (1) Dover Publishing (1) Ember Publishing (1) Faber and Faber Publishing (1) Farrar Straus Giroux Publications (1) Feiwel Friends Publishing (1) Five Rivers Chapmanry Publishing (1) Gallery Books Publishing (1) Grand Central Publishing (1) HarperOne (1) Hill and Wang Publishing (1) Hogarth Publishing (1) It Books Publication (1) MJF Books Publishing (1) MTV books and Pocket Books Publishing (1) McGraw Hill Higher Education Publishing (1) Nelson Publishing (1) Pamela Dorman Books Publishing (1) Pantheon Publishing (1) Plaza Y Janes Publishing (1) Plume Publishing (1) Pocket Publishing (1) Puffin Publishing (1) Quill Publishing (1) Reagan Arthur Books Publishing (1) Science Bookshelf Publishing (1) Signet Classics Publishing (1) St. Martin's Press Publishing (1) Touchstone Publishing (1) Virago Publishing (1) Washington Square Press Publishing (1)