Monday, October 21, 2013

Marisha Pessl Interviewed on 'Night Film'

I read the interview Marisha Pessl did for CNN Living online.  I didn't even know about Marisha Pessl until now.  I love her novel Night Film. I'm listening to the audio of this book and I'm completely fascinated by her writing, by the plot development, and the themes running through the story of Stanislas Cordova.

I'm not even sure how I stumbled on this interview, but it pretty much explains why I love this book so much.

Pessl began writing this novel because of its underground subject, a hidden figure, Stanislas Cordova.  She says in the interview, "our world is so overexposed right now.  People don't get out of bed without tweeting about it.  People don't make art these days without begging people to interact with it, to buy it, to consume it in some way. I wanted to create the antithesis if all that, a figure who went out of his way to become completely underground, who didn't care about selling any kind of product.  It was really about a return to mystery in our lives and finding out again in our overexposed world."

When I found out about this novel, this is exactly why it appealed to me.  I wanted to know what Pessl had to say about this filmmaker I knew nothing about.  The story line was uncovering, literary, a brand new person, a brand new world I knew nothing about.  And now that I'm actually, listening to the book, it's even more incredible to discover all of this.  Even more, I love the fact that she chose to research and uncover a story about someone or something so many people know very little about, but something that will enlighten and transform.  Lastly, I love her passion for the mystery as deep as our personal lives.  I can relate to this kind of premise.  I have always appreciated underground movements, they are much more valuable  untainted, and rich than those that are prostituted for alternate reason to the whole public.  I love that she's promoting this kind of perspective of art.

When I began listening to this book I realized it was thorough, obsessive almost to sift through every layer of the story and uncover levels and levels of psychology, psychosis, and cultural background of Stanislas Cordova as well as the world that surrounded him.  After reading her interview, I realized it all makes sense how it all fell together like this.  It took her seven years to come out with this novel after her last previous book Special Topics in Calamity Physics." She started writing the novel in 2008, about 5 years ago.  This is a long time to be immersed in such a novel, and so I'm not surprised by the level of specificity, development, and utter cleanliness of concepts and themes.

She said "there were things that kept me awake at night." That's when you know your writing has taken a life of its own.  If you are someone who wants to write your own book, this is the prime of example of how such a qualitative novel is made.  It takes time.  It takes an obsession.  It takes being up at night trying to figure out even the smallest of pieces of the novel.    

She continues to say the following.  "I think that sense of dislocation and claustrophobia and not exactly knowing where I was going, only that I was driven to find out what was there at the end.  I had all those same experiences as a writer that my characters did, simply because of the nature of this book.  I wanted to push myself to the end of my writing experience and then see if I could take myself even further.  I really wanted to challenge myself."  If you are a writer, or a plan to be a writer, you know exactly what she is saying.  Writing for some, as I know from personal experience, is about taking yourself further than your immediate world.  It's about discovering a world you know very little about, but one you feel connected to.  You wish to uncover it while also challenging yourself.

The final reason I have just absolutely fallen in love with this book is because there is so much depth to the dark world she presents in this book.  A depth that is full of lightness and wisdom, in a place that you'd expect only darkness and desolation.  In the interview, she explains exactly this idea I felt throughout the book.  She explains what she wanted to do with the novel.  "I wanted something that was thrilling, and enigmatic, that moved, but also multi-layered with great characters.  I thought more in terms of a mood and a feeling and an experience.  That was the story I wanted to read and I think as writers we always write that we wish existed.  So I wanted something dark but I think it's critical even in those dark places to have lightness.  Even when things were dire..."

If your path is in writing and you've thought about writing your own book, you've stumbled yourself through these major points of perspective.  I know I have.  I can relate to so many of her answers.  The path to writing has to be a discovery of something you are passionate about uncovering to the whole world.  It takes time and you must be obsessive about it and see it to the end, regardless of how long it takes, even if it takes you seven years in the making and five years in writing, you will have known you have done it justice.  You must push yourself, take yourself further than you imagine.  Lastly, give your writing multi-dimensions, see it a three dimensional image, full of different components, reflect of life itself.  Give it humanity and depth.




Bookserk by Author

Milan Kundera (4) Jane Austen (3) Stephenie Meyer (3) Suzanne Collins (3) Bernhard Schlink (2) F. Scott Fitzgerald (2) H.G. Wells (2) Herman Hesse (2) JRR Tolkien (2) Jules Verne (2) Khaled Hosseini (2) Paulo Coelho (2) Sam Kean (2) Stieg Larsson (2) Sylvia Day (2) A.G. Howard (1) Adam Johnson (1) Alafair Burke (1) Albert Einstein (1) Alexander Soderberg (1) Alicia Hendley (1) Amanda Hocking (1) Andre Dubus III (1) Ann Patchett (1) Aravind Adiga (1) Azar Nafisi (1) Barbara Kingsolver (1) Becky Aikman (1) Camilla Lackberg (1) Carl Sagan (1) Cat Hellisen (1) Charles Webb (1) Charlotte Bronte (1) Chinua Achebe (1) Chris Prentiss (1) Chrisanna Northrup (1) Christopher S. Stewart (1) Clare Clark (1) Clive Barker (1) Coltaire Rapaille (1) Dai Sijie (1) Daniel J. Levitin (1) Daniel Kahneman (1) Daniel Pink (1) David Foster Wallace (1) David Levithan (1) David Sedaris (1) Debra Driza (1) Domenica Ruta (1) Don Miguel Ruiz (1) Douglas Adams (1) Elie Weisel (1) Emily Bronte (1) Emlyn Chand (1) Enid Shomer (1) Epictetus (1) George Orwell (1) George R.R. Martin (1) Greg Graffin (1) Gretchen Rubin (1) Harper Lee (1) Haruki Murakami (1) Herman Koch (1) JR Moehringer (1) Jane Eyre (1) Jennifer Egan (1) Jodi Meadows (1) John Eldredge (1) John Englander (1) John Kenney (1) John Steinbeck (1) John T Cacioppo (1) Joyce Carol Oates (1) Judy Blume (1) Julia Glass (1) Karen Thompson Walker (1) Karol Jackowski (1) Kate Chopin (1) Kate Walbert (1) Katherine Boo (1) Lauren DeStefano (1) Lisa See (1) Lois Lowry (1) Lou Marinoff PhD (1) Madhulika Sikka (1) Maggie Stiefvater (1) Margot Livesey (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Martha Stout (1) Mary Roach (1) Mary Shelley (1) Meg Howrey (1) Megan Abbott (1) Natalie Babbitt (1) Nujood Ali (1) Oliver Harris (1) Paulo Giordano (1) Poet Charles Swain (1) Poet Margaret E. Sangster (1) Priscille Sibley (1) Ray Bradbury (1) Rebecca Dean (1) Richard Francis (1) Robert Louis Stevenson (1) Robert M. Pirsig (1) Rudyard Kipling (1) Sarah Gruen (1) Sharon Lebell (1) Shirley MacLaine (1) Stasi Eldredge (1) Stephen Chbosky (1) Sue Kidd Monk (1) Susan Cain (1) Susanna Calahan (1) Tara Conklin (1) Tea Obreht (1) Terri Giuliano Long (1) Thrity Umrigar (1) Victoria Hislop (1) Virginia Morell (1) Voltaire (1) Zora Neale Hurston (1)

Bookserk Globally

Bookserk by Publishing House

Harper Perennial Publishing (8) Random House Publishing (7) Crown Publishing (6) Little Brown and Company Publishing (6) Harper Publishing (4) Knopf Publishing (4) Scholastic Press Publishing (4) Vintage Publishing (4) W.W. Norton Company Publishing (4) Anchor Publishing (3) Atria Books Publishing (3) Free Press Publishing (3) HarperCollins Publishing (3) Penguin Books Publishing (3) Riverhead Books Publishing (3) Ballantine Books Publishing (2) Bantam Books Publishing (2) BarnesNoble Classics Publishing (2) Broadway Publishing (2) Harmony Publishing (2) Harper Paperback Publishing (2) Hyperion Publishing (2) Katherine Tegen Books Publishing (2) Simon and Schuster Publishing (2) William Morrow Publishing (2) Algonquin Books Publishing (1) Amber Allen Publishing (1) Amulet Books Publishing (1) Berkley Trade Publishing (1) Blue Crown Press Publishing (1) Createspace Publishing (1) Crown Business Publishing (1) Del Rey Publishing (1) Dover Publishing (1) Ember Publishing (1) Faber and Faber Publishing (1) Farrar Straus Giroux Publications (1) Feiwel Friends Publishing (1) Five Rivers Chapmanry Publishing (1) Gallery Books Publishing (1) Grand Central Publishing (1) HarperOne (1) Hill and Wang Publishing (1) Hogarth Publishing (1) It Books Publication (1) MJF Books Publishing (1) MTV books and Pocket Books Publishing (1) McGraw Hill Higher Education Publishing (1) Nelson Publishing (1) Pamela Dorman Books Publishing (1) Pantheon Publishing (1) Plaza Y Janes Publishing (1) Plume Publishing (1) Pocket Publishing (1) Puffin Publishing (1) Quill Publishing (1) Reagan Arthur Books Publishing (1) Science Bookshelf Publishing (1) Signet Classics Publishing (1) St. Martin's Press Publishing (1) Touchstone Publishing (1) Virago Publishing (1) Washington Square Press Publishing (1)