Friday, October 25, 2013

So Many Books So Well Placed in Time

It occurred to me just as I was reading Love and Math by Frenkel that yet another book has crossed my path that reflects my life in a very significant way.  

I began this website when I was in dire need of understanding so much that was happening in my life.  I found that I always found my answers in books.  Every time I encountered a struggle I found my path to books.  This website unfolded naturally as a result of that pattern.

To find books along the way in my life that reflect deeply the events, feelings, struggles and sometimes the direction my life takes been more and more common as times goes on.  I don't necessarily search for these books, they arrive in my path.  When they do, they seem to fit the puzzle of enigma that is my life.  

I started with Jane Eyre because I wanted to reread it last week.  I now, have another selection, and just so happens I've had many and more to come.  So with this post, I want to trace back to all the books that have already pave this patter of a life reflected in them, but before I do that I want to mention the one book I'm reading right now.

I stumbled on Love and Math by Frenkel as I was reading the Nature magazine one day.  He had been interviewed about mathematics in the magazine.  The way he wrote about mathematics lit up something in me.  For a while now, I have missed doing calculus and have been meaning to get back to algebra and calculus as a daily habit.  I even bought a calculus practice book to start.  Algebra and calculus were my favorite math subjects, and among my favorite science subjects in general.

Secondly, Love and Math remind me of my father who not only had a very passionate sense for mathematics but was a mathmatician himself.  He studied mathematics first thing in the morning like morning people crave their breakfast.  It was his daily food, so to speak.  I admired my father's passion for mathematics and if there is something I am proud to have gotten from him is his love for mathematics.  

Now that I have started reading Love and Math I can say with even more certainty this book has come at the right time, very well placed in my path.  Not only do I want to get back into the science studies, but I know that this time around it has to be a very unconventional strategy.  Mathematics (along with physics) is the key for me, I have believed for a long time.  Love and Math has confirmed that for me through the following quotes:
"The law of Nature are written in the language of mathematics.""Math is a way to describe reality and figure out how the world works, a universal language that has become the gold standard of truth."
Charles Darwin once wrote: "I have deeply regretted that I did not proceed far enough at least to understand something of the great leading principles of mathematics, for men thus endowed seem to have an extra sense."  I have to agree, as I have always believed the same thing.
"Mathematical knowledge is unlike any other knowledge.  While our perception of the physical world can always be distorted, our perception of mathematical truths can't be.  They are  objective, persistent, necessary truths."
The holds the key to viewing life in its naked, truest form.  In the midst of uncertainty and blurred lines in life, mathematics offers an abstract sense of perspective, yet with more clarity than anything else you'll encounter   That's beautiful, elegant, and a world intricately intertwined with our own personal lives.  

After realizing that this is yet another book that, for me, holds a mirror image of how my life is unfolding, it dawned on me that there have been so many other books that have held the same kind of power.  Many of which I have already listed for reviews on this website.  Here they are:

  • The Reader was a novel that started it all, but it was also a novel that helped me understand my own personal suffering in a very dark time in my life, a kind of suffering that I didn't anyone else could understand.  Once I read it I knew the characters in that book as well as my own dark feelings of pain.
  • I'm Over all That by Shirley MacLaine was just one of those books I stumbled on but a book that I found myself strangely connected to on so many levels with a person I don't know at all.  This book, though, reinforced so many of who I am.  It helped me stay true to myself.
  • Siddhartha was a novel that for me empowered my inner spirituality.  To this day, I can read this book and feel a sense of strength in it.
  • Frankenstein is one of my favorite novels of all time.  It was a novel I read just by chance because I was substituting in a classroom that had several copies of it and since I knew the teacher I asked to borrow it one time.  It forever became the book of injustice and agony of a world concern with appearance rather than seeing individuals with inner souls. 
  • To Kill a Mockingbird. This is a book that unravels the concept of compassion in the most beautiful and touching plots.
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a book of genius.  It came to me exactly when I needed something to inspire me, to bring me to a new undiscovered place.  I will always read this book and be reminded of the genius potential that is in all of us, that should always be nurtured in its truest and most original nature.
  • The Hunger Games inspired me to begin my writing path.  I read this book about the same time that I saw a documentary on hulu.com about the Korean olympics (well you just have to read the review to know what I mean).
  • Stiff by Mary Roach has inspired me to write my own journalistic scientific book, down the line I will, and it will go back to this book.  After I read it, I knew it.
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has and will always have sentimental value to me because of the fact that it was a book recommended to me by someone special in my life and he forever opened me up to my favorite mystery thriller trilogy that even to this day when I read it it inspires me to write, research, and write.
  • Ten Fun Things to Do Before You Die there is so much wisdom in this book and it's written by a Nun.  With humour and a tinge of grace, this book is one of my favorite books to raise my spirits.  It was gifted to me on one of my earlier birthdays and ever since I have cherished it because of how much it lifts my spirit every time I read it.





Bookserk by Author

Milan Kundera (4) Jane Austen (3) Stephenie Meyer (3) Suzanne Collins (3) Bernhard Schlink (2) F. Scott Fitzgerald (2) H.G. Wells (2) Herman Hesse (2) JRR Tolkien (2) Jules Verne (2) Khaled Hosseini (2) Paulo Coelho (2) Sam Kean (2) Stieg Larsson (2) Sylvia Day (2) A.G. Howard (1) Adam Johnson (1) Alafair Burke (1) Albert Einstein (1) Alexander Soderberg (1) Alicia Hendley (1) Amanda Hocking (1) Andre Dubus III (1) Ann Patchett (1) Aravind Adiga (1) Azar Nafisi (1) Barbara Kingsolver (1) Becky Aikman (1) Camilla Lackberg (1) Carl Sagan (1) Cat Hellisen (1) Charles Webb (1) Charlotte Bronte (1) Chinua Achebe (1) Chris Prentiss (1) Chrisanna Northrup (1) Christopher S. Stewart (1) Clare Clark (1) Clive Barker (1) Coltaire Rapaille (1) Dai Sijie (1) Daniel J. Levitin (1) Daniel Kahneman (1) Daniel Pink (1) David Foster Wallace (1) David Levithan (1) David Sedaris (1) Debra Driza (1) Domenica Ruta (1) Don Miguel Ruiz (1) Douglas Adams (1) Elie Weisel (1) Emily Bronte (1) Emlyn Chand (1) Enid Shomer (1) Epictetus (1) George Orwell (1) George R.R. Martin (1) Greg Graffin (1) Gretchen Rubin (1) Harper Lee (1) Haruki Murakami (1) Herman Koch (1) JR Moehringer (1) Jane Eyre (1) Jennifer Egan (1) Jodi Meadows (1) John Eldredge (1) John Englander (1) John Kenney (1) John Steinbeck (1) John T Cacioppo (1) Joyce Carol Oates (1) Judy Blume (1) Julia Glass (1) Karen Thompson Walker (1) Karol Jackowski (1) Kate Chopin (1) Kate Walbert (1) Katherine Boo (1) Lauren DeStefano (1) Lisa See (1) Lois Lowry (1) Lou Marinoff PhD (1) Madhulika Sikka (1) Maggie Stiefvater (1) Margot Livesey (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Martha Stout (1) Mary Roach (1) Mary Shelley (1) Meg Howrey (1) Megan Abbott (1) Natalie Babbitt (1) Nujood Ali (1) Oliver Harris (1) Paulo Giordano (1) Poet Charles Swain (1) Poet Margaret E. Sangster (1) Priscille Sibley (1) Ray Bradbury (1) Rebecca Dean (1) Richard Francis (1) Robert Louis Stevenson (1) Robert M. Pirsig (1) Rudyard Kipling (1) Sarah Gruen (1) Sharon Lebell (1) Shirley MacLaine (1) Stasi Eldredge (1) Stephen Chbosky (1) Sue Kidd Monk (1) Susan Cain (1) Susanna Calahan (1) Tara Conklin (1) Tea Obreht (1) Terri Giuliano Long (1) Thrity Umrigar (1) Victoria Hislop (1) Virginia Morell (1) Voltaire (1) Zora Neale Hurston (1)

Bookserk Globally

Bookserk by Publishing House

Harper Perennial Publishing (8) Random House Publishing (7) Crown Publishing (6) Little Brown and Company Publishing (6) Harper Publishing (4) Knopf Publishing (4) Scholastic Press Publishing (4) Vintage Publishing (4) W.W. Norton Company Publishing (4) Anchor Publishing (3) Atria Books Publishing (3) Free Press Publishing (3) HarperCollins Publishing (3) Penguin Books Publishing (3) Riverhead Books Publishing (3) Ballantine Books Publishing (2) Bantam Books Publishing (2) BarnesNoble Classics Publishing (2) Broadway Publishing (2) Harmony Publishing (2) Harper Paperback Publishing (2) Hyperion Publishing (2) Katherine Tegen Books Publishing (2) Simon and Schuster Publishing (2) William Morrow Publishing (2) Algonquin Books Publishing (1) Amber Allen Publishing (1) Amulet Books Publishing (1) Berkley Trade Publishing (1) Blue Crown Press Publishing (1) Createspace Publishing (1) Crown Business Publishing (1) Del Rey Publishing (1) Dover Publishing (1) Ember Publishing (1) Faber and Faber Publishing (1) Farrar Straus Giroux Publications (1) Feiwel Friends Publishing (1) Five Rivers Chapmanry Publishing (1) Gallery Books Publishing (1) Grand Central Publishing (1) HarperOne (1) Hill and Wang Publishing (1) Hogarth Publishing (1) It Books Publication (1) MJF Books Publishing (1) MTV books and Pocket Books Publishing (1) McGraw Hill Higher Education Publishing (1) Nelson Publishing (1) Pamela Dorman Books Publishing (1) Pantheon Publishing (1) Plaza Y Janes Publishing (1) Plume Publishing (1) Pocket Publishing (1) Puffin Publishing (1) Quill Publishing (1) Reagan Arthur Books Publishing (1) Science Bookshelf Publishing (1) Signet Classics Publishing (1) St. Martin's Press Publishing (1) Touchstone Publishing (1) Virago Publishing (1) Washington Square Press Publishing (1)