Saturday, April 13, 2013

Extra Site News: Why I Am NOT Doing Anymore Review Requests!

When I first started blogging all I wanted was to be offered books for review.  Usually, book review requests, come with a free book, most often than not.  Who doesn't want a free book?  Well, I have now gotten to a point where I am getting free books from multiple sources, and committing to a book review request is more of a hasle than I want to be involved in for just a free book.

I am getting a lot of my free books now from giveaways.  And let me tell you, there are plenty of places now to go sign up for giveaways.  Additionally, I have a very reliable source who often gets me advanced readers copies.  And on top of everything I still enjoy doing book tours - so those will always be a source of free books for me.  All these three choices are much much much better commitments for me in exchange for a free book, far more rewarding and enjoyable than committing to a book review request - which often is a dry conversation with an author who can be even more dry when he/she is looking for their review on the site and does not find it.

So why has it been such a hassle to commit to a book review?  More often than not - my experience has been - that I have not enjoyed the book I have accepted to read and review.  Review time comes around and I can barely get myself to write it.  I have to write something... I made a committement AND I got a free book.  The reality, though, is that I just don't want to write it - the book just isn't good enough or I don't want to load my site with book reviews I don't quite feel I want to represent.

As a result, I have decided I am no longer doing any more book review requests.  I don't want this interfering commitment.  I want the freedom to choose the books I read.  I also want to have the freedom to post the reviews I feel I want to represent on this site.  On the bright side, I will still post reviews for giveaways I sign up for and win, as well as any book tours I sign up for. 

I want to be the sole decider in what the content I represent on the site.  At the end of the day, if I want to post something I do - if I don't feel the content is up to part with my own satisfaction or fulfillment from it - I won't post it.  Everything on the site gets a final stamp of approval from me. I do not make any accommodations or compromises when it comes to this site.

With that being said, I now have to make a final mention.  First and foremost, I want to say I'm sorry to the authors I probably will not get a chance to connect with because I will not be doing anymore review requests.  I am also sorry for the last 3 review requests which will not be posted on the site.  I just don't believe I have enough to say about the books to post them.  You know who you are, obviously because the review requests have not been posted.  I want to be able to focus on QUALITY versus the QUANTITY of my reviews from here on out.  I am truly sorry that I have to relieve my responsibility on these three reviews, but it's just what I have to do....

It's taken me a while to come to this decision.  I have enjoyed, to some extent, the process of review requests.  But I also feel so much relief now having finally decided to NO LONGER do any more review requests.  I feel that with the responsibility of review requests out of the way I can now make time for content that I have truly wanted to publish more of AND especially focus on the reviews I want to put more time and energy into.



Bookserk by Author

Milan Kundera (4) Jane Austen (3) Stephenie Meyer (3) Suzanne Collins (3) Bernhard Schlink (2) F. Scott Fitzgerald (2) H.G. Wells (2) Herman Hesse (2) JRR Tolkien (2) Jules Verne (2) Khaled Hosseini (2) Paulo Coelho (2) Sam Kean (2) Stieg Larsson (2) Sylvia Day (2) A.G. Howard (1) Adam Johnson (1) Alafair Burke (1) Albert Einstein (1) Alexander Soderberg (1) Alicia Hendley (1) Amanda Hocking (1) Andre Dubus III (1) Ann Patchett (1) Aravind Adiga (1) Azar Nafisi (1) Barbara Kingsolver (1) Becky Aikman (1) Camilla Lackberg (1) Carl Sagan (1) Cat Hellisen (1) Charles Webb (1) Charlotte Bronte (1) Chinua Achebe (1) Chris Prentiss (1) Chrisanna Northrup (1) Christopher S. Stewart (1) Clare Clark (1) Clive Barker (1) Coltaire Rapaille (1) Dai Sijie (1) Daniel J. Levitin (1) Daniel Kahneman (1) Daniel Pink (1) David Foster Wallace (1) David Levithan (1) David Sedaris (1) Debra Driza (1) Domenica Ruta (1) Don Miguel Ruiz (1) Douglas Adams (1) Elie Weisel (1) Emily Bronte (1) Emlyn Chand (1) Enid Shomer (1) Epictetus (1) George Orwell (1) George R.R. Martin (1) Greg Graffin (1) Gretchen Rubin (1) Harper Lee (1) Haruki Murakami (1) Herman Koch (1) JR Moehringer (1) Jane Eyre (1) Jennifer Egan (1) Jodi Meadows (1) John Eldredge (1) John Englander (1) John Kenney (1) John Steinbeck (1) John T Cacioppo (1) Joyce Carol Oates (1) Judy Blume (1) Julia Glass (1) Karen Thompson Walker (1) Karol Jackowski (1) Kate Chopin (1) Kate Walbert (1) Katherine Boo (1) Lauren DeStefano (1) Lisa See (1) Lois Lowry (1) Lou Marinoff PhD (1) Madhulika Sikka (1) Maggie Stiefvater (1) Margot Livesey (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Martha Stout (1) Mary Roach (1) Mary Shelley (1) Meg Howrey (1) Megan Abbott (1) Natalie Babbitt (1) Nujood Ali (1) Oliver Harris (1) Paulo Giordano (1) Poet Charles Swain (1) Poet Margaret E. Sangster (1) Priscille Sibley (1) Ray Bradbury (1) Rebecca Dean (1) Richard Francis (1) Robert Louis Stevenson (1) Robert M. Pirsig (1) Rudyard Kipling (1) Sarah Gruen (1) Sharon Lebell (1) Shirley MacLaine (1) Stasi Eldredge (1) Stephen Chbosky (1) Sue Kidd Monk (1) Susan Cain (1) Susanna Calahan (1) Tara Conklin (1) Tea Obreht (1) Terri Giuliano Long (1) Thrity Umrigar (1) Victoria Hislop (1) Virginia Morell (1) Voltaire (1) Zora Neale Hurston (1)

Bookserk Globally

Bookserk by Publishing House

Harper Perennial Publishing (8) Random House Publishing (7) Crown Publishing (6) Little Brown and Company Publishing (6) Harper Publishing (4) Knopf Publishing (4) Scholastic Press Publishing (4) Vintage Publishing (4) W.W. Norton Company Publishing (4) Anchor Publishing (3) Atria Books Publishing (3) Free Press Publishing (3) HarperCollins Publishing (3) Penguin Books Publishing (3) Riverhead Books Publishing (3) Ballantine Books Publishing (2) Bantam Books Publishing (2) BarnesNoble Classics Publishing (2) Broadway Publishing (2) Harmony Publishing (2) Harper Paperback Publishing (2) Hyperion Publishing (2) Katherine Tegen Books Publishing (2) Simon and Schuster Publishing (2) William Morrow Publishing (2) Algonquin Books Publishing (1) Amber Allen Publishing (1) Amulet Books Publishing (1) Berkley Trade Publishing (1) Blue Crown Press Publishing (1) Createspace Publishing (1) Crown Business Publishing (1) Del Rey Publishing (1) Dover Publishing (1) Ember Publishing (1) Faber and Faber Publishing (1) Farrar Straus Giroux Publications (1) Feiwel Friends Publishing (1) Five Rivers Chapmanry Publishing (1) Gallery Books Publishing (1) Grand Central Publishing (1) HarperOne (1) Hill and Wang Publishing (1) Hogarth Publishing (1) It Books Publication (1) MJF Books Publishing (1) MTV books and Pocket Books Publishing (1) McGraw Hill Higher Education Publishing (1) Nelson Publishing (1) Pamela Dorman Books Publishing (1) Pantheon Publishing (1) Plaza Y Janes Publishing (1) Plume Publishing (1) Pocket Publishing (1) Puffin Publishing (1) Quill Publishing (1) Reagan Arthur Books Publishing (1) Science Bookshelf Publishing (1) Signet Classics Publishing (1) St. Martin's Press Publishing (1) Touchstone Publishing (1) Virago Publishing (1) Washington Square Press Publishing (1)