Tuesday, February 5, 2013

{#4}: Top Ten Bookish Memories

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish 

I absolutely love this Top Ten Tuesday idea.  I have so many good memories of this site since I have started writing about books.  So this will be one of the easiest posts I will ever make, probably, for Top Ten Tuesdays.  I have memories from when I started this site, to the turning points that have kept me more close to the world of books than I could have imagined.  Here are those top ten memories for me.


1.The Book That Started It All: 'The Reader' by Bernhard Schlink
 When I began this site, I remember I had stumbled upon a classic book club.  I was just coming out of a really rough time in my life, and I felt my purpose of life kind of shaken.  So decided the best way to keep me ground was to get back to the world that had kept me grounded all of my life - the life of books.  So I joined the classics book club in the area and 'The Reader' was the first books we read.  That is how it all began for me.

 My discover of Shirley MacLaine is still one of the most prominent memories of this blog.  Once I read her book, 'I'm Over All That' I just remember being transformed and comforted.  Here was a person so far removed from my reality, and I didn't even know about her, yet she somehow spoke to me in unparalleled ways....

3.The Two Times I was a Guest Reviewer
 OhYes! I remember!  It was awesome.  I hope I'll get to do it again for other people as well.  One of the best memories is being featured as a guest reviewer.

4. Joining the 2012 Reading Challenges
 I was thrilled to start the new year of 2012 on this site with reading challenges. It's one of the best things I ever did for this site and for myself.  It took me to worlds I never thought possible.  I met new bloggers, and I learned so much about the world of blogging.

5.The Time I was Doing Book Tours
 Another great memory I have of this site is definitely the choice to actually join book tours.  I had the opportunity to read a lot of books I would never would have others. I met and spoke to people I would have never had the chance to.  The only reason I had to stop was because I couldn't handle the schedule I was overloading myself with... But I think at some point I'd like to get back to book tours. 

 Once I read 'Norwegian Wood' I knew I needed to read more of Murakami.  He's one of my all-time favorite novelists and I am looking forward to reading more of his books this year.


7. The Time I Re-Read 'To Kill a Mockingbird'
 I reread 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and I remember being even more amazed by this book of compassion.  This book is one of my fondest moments of this site.

8.The Time I read 'The Hunger Games'
 I loved 'The Hunger Games.' Actually, after I read 'The Hunger Games' I knew that one day I would be writing one of my pieces.  I don't know when that will be but I'm working on it... and 'The Hunger Games' inspired me to do it all.

9. 'Siddhartha' became one of my favorite books for a reason
 Have you ever read 'Siddhartha?' Well you should.  It's one of those books all of us need to read in our lifetime to really know about the power of the human spirit.

10. Lastly, revisiting Jules Verne
 Lastly, I wanted to mention the author I grew up knowing about.






Bookserk by Author

Milan Kundera (4) Jane Austen (3) Stephenie Meyer (3) Suzanne Collins (3) Bernhard Schlink (2) F. Scott Fitzgerald (2) H.G. Wells (2) Herman Hesse (2) JRR Tolkien (2) Jules Verne (2) Khaled Hosseini (2) Paulo Coelho (2) Sam Kean (2) Stieg Larsson (2) Sylvia Day (2) A.G. Howard (1) Adam Johnson (1) Alafair Burke (1) Albert Einstein (1) Alexander Soderberg (1) Alicia Hendley (1) Amanda Hocking (1) Andre Dubus III (1) Ann Patchett (1) Aravind Adiga (1) Azar Nafisi (1) Barbara Kingsolver (1) Becky Aikman (1) Camilla Lackberg (1) Carl Sagan (1) Cat Hellisen (1) Charles Webb (1) Charlotte Bronte (1) Chinua Achebe (1) Chris Prentiss (1) Chrisanna Northrup (1) Christopher S. Stewart (1) Clare Clark (1) Clive Barker (1) Coltaire Rapaille (1) Dai Sijie (1) Daniel J. Levitin (1) Daniel Kahneman (1) Daniel Pink (1) David Foster Wallace (1) David Levithan (1) David Sedaris (1) Debra Driza (1) Domenica Ruta (1) Don Miguel Ruiz (1) Douglas Adams (1) Elie Weisel (1) Emily Bronte (1) Emlyn Chand (1) Enid Shomer (1) Epictetus (1) George Orwell (1) George R.R. Martin (1) Greg Graffin (1) Gretchen Rubin (1) Harper Lee (1) Haruki Murakami (1) Herman Koch (1) JR Moehringer (1) Jane Eyre (1) Jennifer Egan (1) Jodi Meadows (1) John Eldredge (1) John Englander (1) John Kenney (1) John Steinbeck (1) John T Cacioppo (1) Joyce Carol Oates (1) Judy Blume (1) Julia Glass (1) Karen Thompson Walker (1) Karol Jackowski (1) Kate Chopin (1) Kate Walbert (1) Katherine Boo (1) Lauren DeStefano (1) Lisa See (1) Lois Lowry (1) Lou Marinoff PhD (1) Madhulika Sikka (1) Maggie Stiefvater (1) Margot Livesey (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Martha Stout (1) Mary Roach (1) Mary Shelley (1) Meg Howrey (1) Megan Abbott (1) Natalie Babbitt (1) Nujood Ali (1) Oliver Harris (1) Paulo Giordano (1) Poet Charles Swain (1) Poet Margaret E. Sangster (1) Priscille Sibley (1) Ray Bradbury (1) Rebecca Dean (1) Richard Francis (1) Robert Louis Stevenson (1) Robert M. Pirsig (1) Rudyard Kipling (1) Sarah Gruen (1) Sharon Lebell (1) Shirley MacLaine (1) Stasi Eldredge (1) Stephen Chbosky (1) Sue Kidd Monk (1) Susan Cain (1) Susanna Calahan (1) Tara Conklin (1) Tea Obreht (1) Terri Giuliano Long (1) Thrity Umrigar (1) Victoria Hislop (1) Virginia Morell (1) Voltaire (1) Zora Neale Hurston (1)

Bookserk Globally

Bookserk by Publishing House

Harper Perennial Publishing (8) Random House Publishing (7) Crown Publishing (6) Little Brown and Company Publishing (6) Harper Publishing (4) Knopf Publishing (4) Scholastic Press Publishing (4) Vintage Publishing (4) W.W. Norton Company Publishing (4) Anchor Publishing (3) Atria Books Publishing (3) Free Press Publishing (3) HarperCollins Publishing (3) Penguin Books Publishing (3) Riverhead Books Publishing (3) Ballantine Books Publishing (2) Bantam Books Publishing (2) BarnesNoble Classics Publishing (2) Broadway Publishing (2) Harmony Publishing (2) Harper Paperback Publishing (2) Hyperion Publishing (2) Katherine Tegen Books Publishing (2) Simon and Schuster Publishing (2) William Morrow Publishing (2) Algonquin Books Publishing (1) Amber Allen Publishing (1) Amulet Books Publishing (1) Berkley Trade Publishing (1) Blue Crown Press Publishing (1) Createspace Publishing (1) Crown Business Publishing (1) Del Rey Publishing (1) Dover Publishing (1) Ember Publishing (1) Faber and Faber Publishing (1) Farrar Straus Giroux Publications (1) Feiwel Friends Publishing (1) Five Rivers Chapmanry Publishing (1) Gallery Books Publishing (1) Grand Central Publishing (1) HarperOne (1) Hill and Wang Publishing (1) Hogarth Publishing (1) It Books Publication (1) MJF Books Publishing (1) MTV books and Pocket Books Publishing (1) McGraw Hill Higher Education Publishing (1) Nelson Publishing (1) Pamela Dorman Books Publishing (1) Pantheon Publishing (1) Plaza Y Janes Publishing (1) Plume Publishing (1) Pocket Publishing (1) Puffin Publishing (1) Quill Publishing (1) Reagan Arthur Books Publishing (1) Science Bookshelf Publishing (1) Signet Classics Publishing (1) St. Martin's Press Publishing (1) Touchstone Publishing (1) Virago Publishing (1) Washington Square Press Publishing (1)